Happy birthday to Trayvon Martin. On February 26, 2012, George Zimmerman shot and killed Martin—an unarmed black child—and was eventually acquitted of murder on self-defense, with the staunch support of the NRA. Trayvon was walking home in his family’s gated community.
Since the murder, Zimmerman has
- been arrested for assaulting an undercover alcohol control agent,
- has had an ex-fiance file a restraining order for domestic violence,
- pointed a shotgun at a girlfriend and her friend and barricaded himself from police inside an apartment,
- was arrested again for aggravated assault after throwing a wine bottle at his ex-girlfriend,
- was removed from a bar after yelling racial slurs at a waitress while calling the arresting officer a “nigger lover,”
- auctioned off the gun he used to murder Trayvon for $250,000, calling it “an American Firearm icon,”
- sold American and confederate flag paintings to support “Muslim-Free” gun store owner Andy Hallinan,
- mocked the murder of Trayvon while interacting with critics on Twitter by making them understand “how it ended for the last moron that hit me,” and
- shared a photo of Trayvon’s corpse with the caption “Z-Man is a one man army.”
Trayvon would have been 24 today.